Tuesday 26 May 2009

On 2 wheels...

Since riding out along the towpath to Newbury on Saturday, I have to come clean and say I haven't looked at my bike, or even considered swinging a leg over one these past 2 days - I have been dead lazy and to be honest, I have enjoyed the inactivity!
However, today I had a meeting with a bike shop in Bourne End -
On 2 Wheels. Where I began to forge some partnership working with the owner and potential contra deals that will help with the BMX project at Waterloo Meadows.

The cycle ride over was pleasant and it was good to be back in the saddle. Once there, the owner kindly showed me the types of BMX bikes he had - freestyle and racing rigs and explained the difference between them. I guess I should have known - there is more to this than meets the eye! I thought I could purchase 10 bikes, assuming 1 size fits all? Wrong - to ride the BMX track we would need bikes without the gyro headset, appropriate gearing/chainset,V brakes and most importantly the weight needs to be on the low side. I lifted one bike and it must have weighed 35lbs - can I really expect a youngster to ride that and enjoy the experience? NO! I need to have a re-think and maybe spend a bit more, but have fewer bikes.
A big learning curve for me today and I await a call from the shop regarding discounts after he has spoken to the appropriate companies. Watch this space..........!

No comments: