Thursday 7 May 2009

The commute was a struggle today......

For some unknown reason, I really struggled climbing out of High Wycombe this morning - what a difference a week can make! Last week I was in and out of the saddle and dancing on the pedals ( in a Pantani-esque sort of way! See video clips below) and was up the hill in no time, but today I grovelled up at 7mph? I realise from my time trialling days, that I can expect peaks and troughs in form - but today was beyond the pail! Never mind, I put my head down and got on with the job in hand and I managed to zone out completely- so much that I didn't give way on a mini roundabout and was hooted at by a driver! "Oops, "GET OVER IT!" - if I had a tenner for every time that happened to me on a bike, I could afford to purchase something exotic from Mercian!
Got to Reading 10 minutes later than usual and hoped the wind would be with me on my journey home!

The Cycle for Health group gathered today for their first led ride - the plan was to head for the tow path and ride towards Sonning. So, after a warm up around the stadium, a rather raggedy peloton wobbled its way out of the park and joined the cycle path by the Kennet and Avon canal. For most, this was a complete revelation - the joys of cycling in a traffic free environment. They absolutely loved it and were left wanting more of the same! Which is just as well because, next week we're taking the same cycle path, but in the opposite direction into Reading town for a coffee. Something for them to look forward to and to tell their families about.

No comments: