Thursday 21 May 2009

Dawn chorus

As is so often the case, I was woken up by the dawn chorus this morning - though usually I manage to turn over and squeeze in some extra Zzz's, but alas today I just lay there listening to it all. In the very distance I could hear a cuckoo and I realised I had never seen one in the flesh. I suppose you could say that about a lot of animals and birds- other examples that spring to mind, would be a red squirrel or a puffin?
"What has this got to do with cycling?" I hear you ask - well nothing I guess, but it got me thinking of all the cycling I would like to do and as time marches on, I figure now is the time to start working through my "route wish list". I just don't want to miss any opportunity and although I'm doing the C2C and Reivers this summer, one of my biggest goals would be to climb some of the famous cols in France (before I'm way too old to contemplate it!)

This is all relative though - the participants of the cycling for health course, had their sights set a little lower and wanted to make the coffee shop at Sonning Lock and I was determined they wouldn't be disappointed. The ride took longer than I anticipated, but that didn't matter and as we sat for a while with a drink, it was great to see them all achieving their goal - they were buzzing!
If I can impart some of my enthusiasm for cycling whilst working in Reading, then I know I'm succeeding....!

No comments: