Saturday 16 May 2009

Remembering the Lockerbie disaster

A very grey start to the day and with heavy rain forecast, I decided to ride over to Lockerbie Memorial Gardens. So, I left my colleagues contemplating some off-road riding and I rode out of Dumfries on my own.
The road snaked its way through the countryside with the gentle hills providing a great backdrop! It was really quiet, which enabled me to look around at the wildlife - baby rabbits munching on the grass verges and the house martins were doing their best to catch the may flies, but were being buffeted by the strong winds.
Once at the visitors centre and memorial gardens, I was reminded of how many people had died in the disaster and I couldn't believe it was 20 years ago - scary!
The huge granite memorial stands in a quiet corner of the cemetery - a place of quiet contemplation and has all the names of the people who were killed, both in the aircraft and on the ground.
After picking up some postcards, I jumped back on the bike to see the commemorative stained glass window at the Town Hall - depicting the flags of all the nations who lost their lives on the 21st December 1988.
The ride back was quick, as I had the strongest tailwind ever - just in time for a quick shower, bite to eat before heading over to the membership stand. Business was very slow this evening,
though Mark Beaumont - the chap who cycled around the world was signing his new book and was around for an hour or so for questions,so that generated a fair bit of interest.

Off to bed early as I'm helping on a Women on Wheels event tomorrow- hopefully the wifi will be up and running for another blog posting?
Night!

No comments: