Saturday 23 May 2009

Fundraiser for the Women's Centre

Well, what more could I have asked for? The weather was just perfect for today's event and I saw 30 riders sign in at the Women's Centre to cycle to Newbury along the Kennet & Avon towpath - a quick tot up of all the money raised showed a princely sum of £1300, including the 'gift aid' donations. Vital funds that will help in the running of the Women's Centre.
En route we were spoilt with refreshment stops and some fantastic home made cakes - thanks to all who marshaled and baked!
Despite having ridden this route several times in recent months for risk assessments, I thoroughly enjoyed myself and it was great to share the experience with my partner riding along side. (We haven't ridden out together for ages!)
I hope you all enjoyed it as much I did and if you didn't pick up your certificate - do let me know and I'll post one out to you.

Have a great Bank Holiday - mine has certainly started well, now where's that cup of tea?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I enjoyed the ride. It's the first time I've taken the route (NCN 4) as far as Newbury.

Having arrived at Newbury in good time, I decided to cycle back rather than take the train. It turned out to be a fortuitous decision, for on the way back I encountered a couple walking to Newbury. "Did we see you earlier?" they called as I approached. "You could have done," I replied. "Well, a light fell off your bike, and we picked it up." With that out came the rear light which is usually clipped to the back of my pannier bin. I hadn't even noticed it was missing!

I imagine it must have come off in a particularly bumpy patch close to Newbury, where the trail is crossed by numerous tree roots running proud of the surface. Anything not firmly attached is likely to come adrift there, especially if you're belting along at pace!

Oh, having returned home, a cup of tea was a priority: the blog has recognised a national characteristic!

Unknown said...

Helen,

Just wanted to say thank you for organising such a great event.

I've put a photo us Anneliese and I with our certificates up on my blog (which I update much less frequently than you do!)

http://racheleden.blogspot.com/2009/05/charity-ride-to-newbury.html

I'll hope to come along to the first part of the event in Prospect Park that you mentioned...

Helen said...

So glad you both enjoyed it and hope to see you on the 13th June.

Happy cycling!