Monday 2 November 2009

What should've been a quiet ride....!


Imagine my consternation when out cycling on Saturday and about 2 miles from home......

I hadn't quite imagined the grim reaper knocking on my door in the shape of a lorry with some porta loos on the back, but that is exactly what happened. The driver of 'said' vehicle just couldn't wait for 20 seconds whilst a car was coming in the opposite direction - so he squeezed passed me and the side of the lorry actually touched my arm. With that and the whoosh of hot air, it was a miracle I stayed on? I don't think I've ever been so furious - I glanced down at my heart rate monitor to see my heart had jumped from 120bpm to 150bpm. (OK, I know, old habits die hard and it's a throw back from my time trialling days!) I immediately jumped on the pedals in the hope of catching him up and I was delighted to see him pull into the petrol station - my chance to tell him the errors of his ways!
When I got to the petrol station he was just coming out of the shop - he was built like the proverbial out house and there wasn't an inch of skin that wasn't either tattooed or pierced and I questioned my sanity about approaching him. But I was pleasantly surprised and he listened intently as I explained what had happened, apologised profusely and promised to pay more attention to cyclists riding on the roads in the future. He followed me out and kept his distance until I turned left for home - with that, he hooted his horn, waved and went on his way. I really hope he will take heed of what we discussed.

I was pretty shaken up, but the ride in this morning was perfect - albeit a little cold and as always, incidents like that need to be put to the back of the mind. But as ever...... there but the grace of god go I......!

No comments: