Thursday 26 November 2009

Beginner cyclists' and how NOT to treat them....!


Out riding my bike today. I was in wind down mode after a busy morning in front of the PC, when 2 cyclists' came wanging passed me. Not one to miss out on an opportunity of a tow - I jumped on the back.
It became apparent that the guy at the front was a regular cyclist and his buddy was in fact a beginner - brand new bike, saddle way too low and a grimace on his face suggesting he wasn't enjoying the experience! I followed for a while until they turned right - uphill for about 2 miles.
This poor chap, still hanging on for grim life shouted to his mate........
" Oh no, not Nagshill, I'll never make it up there, my legs are killing me already." This statement was totally dismissed and up they went.
This is, how NOT to treat a new cyclist - apart from anything else, winter riding is all about base miles and keeping the heart-rate low in readyness for the summer rides.
So Mr. Regular Cyclist, do your friend a favour - instead of trying to show how great and fast you are up those Chiltern hills, spend 5 minutes helping him sort out his position on his bike. No wonder his legs hurt and you never know he may just find that cycling is a pleasurable experience.

No comments: