Friday 31 July 2009

Cycle show '09

Not much to report in Reading today- dropped into see my volunteers for a general catch up and to see if they need anything. Had to resolve a staffing issue for next Wednesday, but very pleased that things seem to be ticking along quite nicely. All bikes working and not requiring any serious maintenance - which is nice to hear.
So with some time on my hands, I've been checking out this year's
Cycle Show and it promises to be a good one. Though pretty worried that Mosquito bikes are very close to the CTC stand again - they were opposite us last year and I ended up buying one of their bikes! I do have half an eye on this baby and it would definitely look good snuggled up to my Fixie Inc Peacemaker and I'm sure I could make room for it! Though it would blow my cycling budget for the entire year....! Ho- hum, we'll see!

Have a good weekend and happy cycling!



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now you tell me: a cyclo-cross bike with disc brakes!

You don't know how much trouble I've had trying to buy one of these. First I was after a Genesis Croix de Fer, then a Marin Toscana, then a Focus Mares Disc, and finally a Salsa La Cruz. The Salsa got in to real complications, including, at one point, that it didn't meet BS specifications and wouldn't be imported (turned out to be something to do with the stem, which would have been replaced anyway). The others were completely sold out in the size I needed.

So, now I see there's another bike of the type I'm after. Is it in stock in a large frame size???

(I've heard there's been a boom in bicycle sales [Cycle to Work Scheme, and cheap means of transport in these straightened times], with manufacturers unable to meet the demand. Don't I know it!)

Anonymous said...

I should have guessed: "Sold out for 2009"!

Helen said...

Yes, I have looked at all those bikes you've mentioned - well a part from the Marin. It's SO disappointing to find that you can't get your hands on these bikes - incidentally the Genesis is still being advertised widely in the cycling press!
The other option I'm thinking about is a custom build from Independant Fabrication - also fom Mosquito Bikes. Though the frame and forks are £1300 (yikes!) I understand the waiting time is pretty long - get in now for next summer?

Helen said...

Have a look at this baby - though no disc brakes!

http://www.mosquito-bikes.co.uk/htdocs/cms_ul/cata_155/SteelPlanetCross.htm?item_id=370.

Anonymous said...

Was there any reason for not looking at the Marin bike — did you not know of it, or do you not like Marinated products? (I admit it was the lowest spec bike amongst the ones I looked at.)

Disc brakes were a must as far as I was concerned; those horrible calliper things on road bikes are a big no-no for me. Cantilevers and V-brakes are better, but why wear out your (expensive?) rims if you don't have to?

Helen said...

Just hadn't seen the Marin and good point about the rims - now why hadn't I thought of that?