Tuesday 20 October 2009

Wearing hi- viz.....?


I've never worn any hi-viz clothing - but after a very nasty near miss this morning on a roundabout, I'm wondering whether it would be a good idea.
I guess my view has always been - " It's not a dangerous activity and I have decent lights!" Well, that and I'm a bit of a style queen - all clothing must match my bike! Shallow or what?
CTC are running a great campaign at the moment - STOP SMIDSY (sorry mate I didn't see you!) Basically the website allows you to log any dangerous driving, accidents or near misses. My incident this morning will be added to the growing pile.
Do check it out and I would love to hear your views on wearing yellow jackets......!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Helen,

I definately agree with you that cycling is not inherently dangerous and that drivers have a duty of care to other road users.

But I am so used to drivers nearly clipping me and after my husband ended up on the bonnet of a car ("SMIDSY") I do wear my relective stuff more. It doesn't always make a difference: but it might help! It also gives me a greater sense of confidence, which means I bike on occasions when I might not have. On the other hand if I'm going somewhere that I can't store things I'm less likely to wear reflective clothing!

I think it's one for the cyclist's discretion but that's your view too I take it!

Helen said...

Exactly so Rachel....
I've just spent the last hour reviewing jackets on Bike Radar and I will make the purchase. Just need to find one that is reflective and breathable...? Apparently the good news is - that is doesn't have to be yellow...!