Wednesday 28 October 2009

Thanks Helen!

I had a volunteer with me all day in Reading who was very keen to help on some of my cycling sessions. This gave me a great excuse to drop everything and touch base with the Everybody Active participants - I guess I hadn't seen some of them for 3 months or so. Boy, did I get a welcome.....!
Mark - a participant who has been coming since the launch in April '08, flung his arms around me and yelled "I'm so glad you're here!" Evidently, he had drawn me a picture and it had been in his pocket for weeks. A little crumpled, I unfolded the piece of paper - he was still hanging onto my neck at this point and it was a fantastic sketch of a tiger. To be honest I was blown away. He said it was to thank me for setting up the cycling session.
What more could I ever want and very briefly wondered whether I had made the right move going for promotion?
It really was great to see the guys on the ground again as they hold a very special place in my heart - yes, I can do "cheese" very well!
The sketch now has pride of place on my fridge at home and I will be taking it to the next staff meeting in Guildford - we ARE changing the lives of some people.

No comments: