Friday 9 October 2009

Cycle Show 2009


The highlight of the show for me was to spend 30 minutes with James Bowthorpe - the guy who has just smashed the world record for cycling around the world. James was cycling to raise money for vital research on Parkinson's. He popped over to the CTC stand to say "Hi" and to confirm he would be writing something for the magazine. After the obligatory photo, I bombarded him with questions regarding kit, injuries and his chosen route - fascinating and what a really nice chap and we made it onto his blog too. You can read more about his exploits here.

Well, I'm not sure whether I've been around bikes for too long - I very much doubt it, but as I walked around the show, I wasn't as excited at all the new gear on show! Maybe I'm actually happy with all the bikes I have and my head wasn't turned in the slightest at all the top end road bikes! As you know, I'm looking to do a bit more touring and was keen to see what was available. Disappointingly very little, well that was until we stumbled across the Moulton/Pashley stand and my colleague - Gwenda, suggested I had a look and a try of one of the Moultons. To be honest I was a little sceptical, but as ever, I was easily persuaded to swing my leg over the base model on the "try out" track and boy was I surprised. It rides just like a 700c wheeled bike and they do a touring version as well. I'm going to swing by their stand on Sunday with my best negotiating head on, as I can feel a potential purchase coming on.......!

No comments: