Monday 26 October 2009

Mini adventure or mid-life crisis....?

The regular readers of this Blog will know that over the last year or so, I have got into cycle touring. Since putting in the Moulton order after the Cycle Show, I have spent a lot of my spare internet time checking out routes and other equipment. My initial thoughts were that I would use B&B's - but I'm beginning to warm to the idea of lightweight camping. After the initial outlay of such purchases, the tour wouldn't be very expensive. B&B's, as you know, can cost anything up to £60 a night and I would still have to find an evening meal. Youth Hostels are out - I hate sharing my bedroom space with people I don't know and who snore......!
So, I have narrowed my options to the Hilleberg Atko or the Terra Nova Laser Competition. Both pricey, but I want to get it right first time and enjoy the experience.
At the moment the Hilleberg nudges ahead due the blinding reviews and also having the space to be able to sit up! (I understand a bonus for a 1 person tent!)
I really love the idea of just heading off and having a mini adventure! Call it my annual sabbatical - I never had a gap year and the wilderness beckons, though I think my partner would call it a mid-life crisis! However, it could be much worse I understand?
Anyone out there feel the same? All advice on equipment gratefully received.....

2 comments:

Michael said...

Surprised I don't see MSR and Vaude mentioned Helen ! Two well known brands and used worldwide by adventure cyclists.

Helen said...

Thanks Michael - I had checked out the Vaude range, but not MSR. Most certainly will before I make the purchase!

PS:I'm loving your bikes....!