Monday 19 October 2009

Cycling is THE tonic....!

One head cold in a month is kind of acceptable, but coming down with a second is totally disagreeable! Well, that's what happens when you get 60 so called "healthy" cyclists' in a room for 3 days - and judging from the postings on Facebook, I'm not the only one!
So, opting to work from home today - sparing the team in Reading my germs, (well, it's only right and proper to do so!) I managed to work through my email list, negotiate a great deal with Airnimal for a work bike for the officer in East Hampshire and help on a presentation with MEND for the end of the week.
Halfway through the morning I was itching to get on the bike - needed to clear the old head. From my training days, I had always been told to continue cycling if the virus is just in the head and to stop, if it's on the chest. So with a couple of letters that really needed posting and the nearest post office being about 3 miles away - a perfect opportunity to get some air, without taxing the body. I felt better immediately - sinuses cleared and I was ready to take on the invoices and anything else that was thrown my way.

All in all, a very productive day - however, someone please remind me to take my handwash at the next CTC get together......!

5 comments:

WestfieldWanderer said...

Yup! Can vouch for the efficacy of a bike ride for a cold cure.
I can remember the last time I was laid up with that sort of thing. It was 9th September 2001. I was so out of it that I remained totally unaware at the time of the events of that day...

Helen said...

9th Sept 2001 - what's your secret?

Anonymous said...

Or was that "the events of two days later"???

Anyway, to my point: "... a great deal with Airnimal for a work bike for the officer in East Hampshire...".

So, flushed with success at your negotiations with Moulton at the Cycle Show, you've now repeated your endeavours with Airnimal.

Now, I'm guessing we're not talking a Rhino, which leaves the Joey and Chameleon models (incidentally, the models on display at the Cycle Show were substantially different from the website), so which one is it?

Helen said...

It's the Joey Explore - with the hub/gear mix. I managed to get £250 off the price. Not bad eh?

Anonymous said...

Yes, pretty good: I reckon you should sell your services as a bike purchaser.

I bought my Airnimal Joey Explore through the Cycle to Work (C2W) scheme (the bike was £900 then, I suspect it's now above the £1000 scheme limit), which does produce a bigger saving, but as I'm currently in a C2W agreement I can't start another until this expires, so means of making savings on new bikes are always interesting.