Monday 1 June 2009

Having the legs!

What a morning for cycling - why would anyone get into a car today, when they could cycle?
I had the legs today to challenge my fellow cycle commuters - but alas, didn't have the opportunity....! It's great what proper rest and sleep can do, I must have slept 20 hours over the last 2 nights....!
I arrived in Reading looking forward to the week ahead, with bags of energy and it was just as well as I had a very frustrating day.
For those of you who regularly follow my blog, will be aware of the pending BMX project at Waterloo Meadows and my struggle to get clearance for a container. The parks department have stipulated that it must look like a garden shed, be around 6ft tall and blend into the area, oh and I have to have an anti-graffiti schedule.....?
Oh boy! - it will be a miracle if this project gets off the ground. So, I kid you not, I have spent the day trawling websites for companies that clad containers in wood and that do not require me to sell a kidney in order to purchase it! The quotes were unbelievable - £4k! So, buying in some ship lap timber and the services of a carpenter for the day is the way to go - budget is back on track!
I have now passed on the 'political baton' to Sport Reading to fight my corner and I wait with baited breath.
The saga continues, so watch this space........!

2 comments:

WestfieldWanderer said...

It's nice to have a helpful and supportive local authority isn't it.
I wonder what it's like?

To make the Somer Valley Wheels container a little less of an eyesore they commissioned the local artists group to paint a mural on it.
Seems to have been a popular move!

Helen said...

I had considered getting a group of street artists to do their stuff, but the mural idea is fantastic - many thanks for that and I'll put the suggestion forward.