Friday 19 June 2009

When to campaign and when NOT to.....

Imagine my disappointment when picking up the latest issue of Get Reading and not seeing any of the Bike Week events? Strange, as we had lots of photographers turn up to various rides and I had been interviewed on numerous occasions. Unfortunately they decided to run a full page article on a press release sent in by Reading Cycle Campaign regarding some changes the Council are doing to one of the cycle routes.
Now, working for the CTC and being a keen cyclist I know how important it is to campaign and I would never advocate otherwise.
But to run such a negative campaign through Bike Week has totally undermined my project and its objectives.
Never mind that we managed to get around 700 cyclists' on bikes during the week and that all the events were well attended - well up on last year and not a word about it in the paper.....!
How disappointing is that?
I'm hoping to sit down with the Chair of Reading Cycle Campaign next week to discuss the way forward on their future campaigning strategy and the impact that it will have on my work in Reading.
I'll be in Broad Street tomorrow manning one of the cycle promotion stands - do swing by and see me?
In the meantime though, enjoy what's left of Bike Week.....?

No comments: