Tuesday 23 June 2009

Cycling makes you feel good......!

Today I took a dozen bikes over to Prospect Park with the view of taking a group of patients from Prospect Park Hospital on a led ride.
I had been warned due to the very nature of any mental health issues, that people may not turn up on the morning.
Well, this was the case and we only had 2 women turn up, but nevertheless we went as planned and made our way to the Kennett & Avon tow-path.
Although a little nervous about getting on a bike and riding the 4 miles, plus the anxiety issues they usually deal with on a day to day basis, they thoroughly enjoyed themselves and asked if they could do a regular session - fantastic news!
I will make the necessary arrangements for this to take place.
I'm so pleased that cycling made them feel good and that they want to do more and I was blown away when one of the women told me, as of last year she hadn't been out of the house for 30 years and she couldn't believe what she had just achieved. Neither could I - well done!

1 comment:

WestfieldWanderer said...

Good stuff, Helen.
Works every time, doesn't it. Get a decent bike under someone and they're hooked.