Friday 12 June 2009

Luz Ardiden versus NCN4 Reading...!

I can now say that I have something in common with Lance Armstrong - no, I haven't climbed Alpe d'Huez in 37 mins 36secs! (I wish!)
I'm sure most of you will remember the fateful day - Stage 15 to Luz Ardiden, when a fan's musette hooked onto his handlebars and he came crashing down like a bag of spuds...!
Well, cycling along the NCN 4 in New Town, I encountered the same problem. It is a shared path and I had slowed up for the pedestrians, but unfortunately my handlebars snagged the bag of a passer by. It all happened SO quickly and there was nothing I could do to avoid it and the next thing I knew I was rolling around the floor at her feet....! (not a good look!)
Uninjured, but a tad embarrassed - I got up to inspect the bike for damage and I am pleased to report it's clean bill of health! The woman in question was very apologetic and admitted she had been swinging her bag around.
Ho-hum, I continued my journey without any other hic-cups, but it has re-confirmed my dislike of shared pathways......!
And to the cyclist who hung around to make sure I was OK - Thanks, you were very kind!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I know how you feel, caught a branch passing someone on a shared path, just managed to keep on two wheels. Why does anyone think a shared path a good idea!

Anonymous said...

I thought you were going to say that, like Lance Armstrong, after an accident, you'd had a carbon fibre collarbone fitted ;) But, anyway, an injury at any time is not good news, and on the eve of Bike Week it would have been especially grevious, so what a good thing you were uninjured.

People do seem to have strange ideas about shared pathways. Today at Palmer Park, Raj, cycling on the shared pathways, was amazed to be upbraided by one lady who told her that, because her little son was running about, Raj was obliged to get off and walk!

Anonymous said...

Ouch
Sounds like reading needs some proper cycle facilities
Or someone needs to be a bit more aware of things around them