Tuesday 9 June 2009

Active ageing - it's definitely the way to go!

My feet didn't touch the ground today- back to back meetings, taster sessions
and manning a cycle promotion stand at the SportsPark at Reading University was the order of the day! It was certainly going to be a very active day for me......
I was pretty anxious about the weather and the potential non attendance of a group from Age Concern - but I needn't have worried, they arrived in plenty of time and were eager to try out the bikes at Palmer Park - for some, it was the first time and for others it was 30+ years since they last rode a bike.
The hour passed very quickly and the participants loved it and all were surprised that they had managed to do around 8 laps of the track - 2 miles, without much effort at all.
I'm hoping to get a regular slot with them, but in the meantime I will be signposting them to the weekly Cycling for Health sessions.
It was good to finally get an "in" at the University and a great opportunity to showcase my cycling projects and volunteering opportunities to the students, employees and residents living around the campus.
Burn Fat Not Oil is the University's theme for the next 2 weeks, with a great incentive scheme in place to encourage people to take to their bikes. A very positive session and I have a further meeting planned to potentially discuss a recycle project.
Can't wait.............!

No comments: