Wednesday 22 April 2009

What should've been a sedate commute in...

During my commute this morning, I was nearly hit by a farmers vehicle whilst cycling on the A4. I always adopt a fairly prominent position on the road - just over a metre from the curb. This ensures that the car has to signal and move out to pass me. Well, that's the theory and that didn't happen on this occasion. The driver indicated and squeezed passed me and the oncoming traffic. The worse bit was yet to come - he had a piece of farm machinery on a trailer that was much wider than his landrover. The "said" piece of machinery skimmed by my right ear with an inch to spare. So I say to Mr Landrover, "please spare a thought for those who actively travel as I'm not ready to have the Van Gogh effect quite yet and I will continue to choose my bike over the tin box any day!! "

However, in the office I have spent my time, emailing details of a ride I've organised on the 23rd May. I'm pleased to say my database is growing and hopefully we'll see lots of participants turn up on the day. For more information please see here. It promises to be a fun and traffic free ride - so, do come along?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For the ride on 23 May, do people just turn up on the day and part with their £10, or is it necessary to register (and pay!) in advance?

Returning from Newbury by train might prove problematical if there are substantial numbers wishing to do so.

Helen said...

I can email you the paperwork, which payment, then could be made on the day. We have spoken to the rail company and they seem pretty cool about things. As it's our first ride - I don't anticipate huge numbers. Do come along though as it's a super ride.