Sunday 26 April 2009

Ramblings from Great Missenden


Well, the plan today was to explore the Chiltern hills on foot - as the old saying goes " a change is as good as a rest!"I was thankful that the sun shone continuously and as I made my way from Great Missenden over to Ballinger, I noticed the trees and hedgerows in full bloom. It certainly is a lovely part of the world. The hills dipped and rolled, with flint-built farms nestling in the hollows and woods on the skyline - such beautiful countryside to walk in.

The red kites can be seen on the buffeting winds: since their reintroduction almost 20 years ago, we now have around 300 pairs thriving and successfully breeding.

One thing I've realised when exploring the countryside on foot, it's all so easy to relish the beauties of the landscapes, but it's good to glance down once in a while and to take note of what's flowering around your feet - in this instance it was bluebells, cowslip and the foxgloves were almost ready to burst!
It's nice to see the world from a different prospective - I wouldn't have necessarily seen these things on a bike and after 8 miles or so, my legs were really feeling it! So to drop into St Peter and St Paul church in Great Missenden for a well earnt cream tea, rounded the day off very nicely and I'm now ready for the week ahead.....!

No comments: