Tuesday 14 April 2009

Back from the Easter break....

...... and I've hit the ground running! A busy day of meetings. The first being over at the newly refurbished BMX track at Waterloo Meadows - still not quite finished, as the contractor is still on site tying up a few loose ends. Though what a fantastic facility not far from the centre of town and on the doorstep for Whitley residents, with a great Community Centre attached to it. I'm hoping to organise some workshops as part of the launch and will add more information on the blog as and when the details are finalised.
I then popped over to check out the BMX track at Longbarn Lane - beginners track that is screaming out for attention and I understand an application for funding is in process, so it can be extended.
So, 2 great facilities where I hope I will engage the "next generation of cyclists" in Reading to use whilst I'm here for the next 3 years?
On my way to my next meeting I swung by the PSCO's office at Cemetery Junction to see if they would interested in taking part in the Cycle Festival - security marking of bikes. I also took the opportunity to let them know the increase of cycle thefts in and around the area. I was told that the police were handing out free D-locks and they were going to check to see if any were left for me to give away through Bike Week.

I then attended a NHS roadshow at the Pakistani Community Hall near Palmer Park - a great opportunity to let them know what was going on in East Reading in the way of cycling. When I arrived a group of men had gathered for their weekly lunchtime meeting and I was able to hand out leaflets and chat about my sessions over at the stadium. Who knows maybe 1 or 2 of them may just decide to join the cycling for health sessions.....?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And busy planning for ... Bike Week!