Thursday 9 April 2009

Don't leave home without the essentials!


I broke the cardinal rule this morning - though didn't realise until I had climbed the huge hill out of High Wycombe, I had left my change of trousers in the airing cupboard and it was absolutely chucking it down! Hmm? If the rain continued I'd be sitting in damp clothes all day - nice! So I decided to catch the train from Bourne End and realised what a nice change it made. I even met a fellow cyclist that had done the same thing! We exchanged a few words about our respective commutes and he then very politely asked if he could lean his bike on mine - which of course I said "no problem" but inside I was saying, "I'm sorry, you want to do WHAT? I've just had this baby resprayed and I'd rather you didn't in case you chipped the paintwork!" Anyway, all was OK and I needn't of worried as we had to move them to let more passengers in! My close friends and colleagues will know that I'm very precious regarding my bikes....!I got to Reading at the same time as I would've if I'd cycled all the way and the time on the train had dried my clothes out, so it was a good call.
The 4th session of the Cycling for Health course went well and the participants enjoyed themselves despite the inclement weather. I waved them off wishing them a Happy Easter and that I was looking forward to catching up with them next week......
Happy cycling!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't had any of my "babies" resprayed, but I know what you mean about being protective of them. On a club ride, I'm not too bothered about locking up my bike against others, as once the bikes are in place (and I expect it to be done carefully!) they won't move, but on a train, I'd be very fearful of them constantly bashing against each other.

I've seen that fancy (and very gleaming) Specialized road bike of yours, and if it were mine, anyone coming within a metre of it would receive an extremely loud warning!

Anyway, what cycle storage facilities did the train have?

Helen said...

Glad you like the Spesh - it is rather nice! There is "zero" cycle storage on the train from Bourne End and I always stand holding the bike for all of the journey!