Monday 20 April 2009

An unusual use of carbon fibre!

The weather at the weekend was just superb and leant itself to any outdoor activity - I cycled off- road on Saturday and walked on Sunday. I also spent some time helping my friend's son buy his first road bike - any excuse to check out new gear at cycle shops! We went in one shop who was a Trek Stockist and we got the obligatory speech regarding, "If it's good enough for Lance Armstrong, then it's good enough for anyone! (Though can't quite see Lance riding to victory on a £500 bike!) Oh and by the way did you know, that after his accident, Lance has had a carbon fibre collarbone fitted - courtesy of Bontrager?" So needless to say I went home and checked it out on the internet and was almost taken in, when I noticed the date on the press release - 1st April! Nice try and I'm still wondering whether the guy in the shop thinks it's for real....? To read the story, see here.

Today was a day for nailing the marketing material for Bike Week - we have some big events at the start of May and need the flyers and posters available to give out. I'm really excited about working with an external design agency as they have some cycling great images we can use.
I also met with one of the Healthy Workplace Challenge companies to discuss their cycling requirements and activities through the month of June - active travel month. All good and I'm hoping they will engage throughout Bike Week and have gone off to consider some cycle training for their employees.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought there were a couple of masterstrokes in that Lance Armstrong story: I particularly liked:

* the comment that it's available in 4 male sizes and 4 WSD (Women's Specific Design) (as if those strange beings called women have to be given an acronym!).

* describing it as being grams lighter than the OEM bone (referring to the human bone as from the Original Equipment Manufacturer!).