Tuesday 21 April 2009

Riding fixed...

I think riding fixed for commuting is ideal - that is, when you have mastered the technique of getting the pedal set in the correct position before pushing off.I have lost count the amount of times I haven't quite got it right and have done a "hop,skip and a jump" to get going - and I must say the Reading drivers have been very patient, well that is when they've stopped laughing! It makes you think ahead more and I guess it saves on maintenance. I love the way the bike reminds you, of who's boss and gives you a nudge in the saddle area, if for a nano second you stop pedalling!!
But the biggest positive is, that it really makes you appreciate your freewheeled/geared bike when you ride it!
Today I rode my fixie to a meeting in Aldermaston - totally 45miles with my short commute. At the end of it I certainly felt tired, but came back pleased at how the meeting went at AWE (the Atomic Weapons Establishment). The site is enormous and employees are encouraged to use the pool bikes to get around. I will be linking them up with a local instructor who will deliver 2 days cycle training and will be advising a group of employees of how to start a BUG and a MTB group.

2 comments:

Bandobras said...

I can never figure out why people want to ride fixies. Everything is so remote from the rider with all that technology in there. If you want real connection you have to go penny-farthing.

Anonymous said...

Bandobras:
Do you consider either of these to be a "proper" penny-farthing:
Ammaco Penny Farthing with a nominal 28-inch front wheel;
Qu-Ax Penny Farthing with nominal 36-inch front wheel.

Or are they both "extraordinary Ordinaries" (brakes, etc!)?