Thursday 31 December 2009

Each to their own....


In the past I have joined a couple of Cycle Clubs - primarily so I could compete. But to be honest, they're not me and I would consider myself, a "solitary cyclist."
I hate the way the Clubs seem to be male dominated with large doses of testosterone running through them. It certainly can be very intimidating walking into the Club House for the first time. I can remember the sarky comments from the Chair of the Club, when I showed my face for the first time.
Needless to say, I didn't venture back and only remained a member for time trialling purposes for 5 or so years.
Of course and it goes without saying - I am a CTC member, but again I very rarely go out with my local group. How anti social of me......?
Yesterday, however, I received an email from a friend who has just joined a new club - VC10 (Velo City 10?)
Looking at the website - it appears to be what the cycling community needs. Supportive of beginners, women and they have a youth programme etc, etc. I am tempted to join and hook up with the women's MTB group - though I have promised my other half I won't get drawn into the world competition again......!
But on the other hand, I love my solo rides and I may just not get around to it.....!

No comments: