Friday 1 January 2010

Happy New Year....


..... and what a beautiful morning to go for a ride - albeit very cold and frosty! I love starting the New Year with a ride - the roads are relatively empty and this morning I only had patches of ice to contend with.....! I decided to stick to the main roads and ride one of my out and back routes - around 25 miles.
Having survived the last couple of weeks on a diet of turbo sessions, this cyclist was hungry for a proper ride out.....!
The sky was a deep blue and the haw frost on the trees looked spectacular - I spotted 2 Red Kites basking in the early sunshine at the top of an old oak tree.
The ride was pretty uneventful and as I tapped on the pedals the miles ticked away. This was until I saw some ice ahead - quickly indicating to the driver behind to slow down, I picked out my route, but before I could blink, I was on the floor - landing very heavily on my right hip and elbow....ouch! The driver and his passenger both jumped out - well, gingerly stepped out to see if I was OK. It's always a shock to hit the tarmac and I was fine and so was the bike.
The driver happened to be a cyclist and totally sympathised with me - I was so embarrassed!
The rest of the ride went without any further incidents and I was welcomed back home with a very large bowl of warming porridge - Thanks Wend, it was just what I needed......!

No comments: