Wednesday 9 December 2009

Road side memorials


Its around this time of year, and again in February, when the old badgers move on to find more food and a new mate. Unfortunately for them, this means crossing roads and for some, the journey is curtailed and they never make it to pastures green. I hate seeing them at the side of the road as I cycle pass and always bless them as pedal on - yes, I'm a big softy.
This got me thinking about the rather strange phenomenon that has emerged over the past few years - road side memorials! WHAT is that all about?
I can think of 8 or so of these shrines in my local area and I just don't get it.....?
If any of my loved ones were so unfortunate as to lose their lives on our roads - the last thing I would want is, a road side memorial. Marking the very place where they took their last breath. A place that clearly wouldn't be restful or peaceful as the cars and trucks rattle by and that would be covered in road-side grime.
Maybe it's just a sign of the times - but I've been perplexed about it for a while. So do let me have your thoughts on the subject, but I don't think I could be persuaded to think otherwise.

2 comments:

WestfieldWanderer said...

I'm with you here, Helen. If these sad little memorials are intended to act as a warning to others, it doesn't work. They still keep on driving themselves (and others) into a early grave. It's the old 'it can't happen to me' syndrome.

Robin Smith said...

My inexperienced view on this is this:

They have lost a love

In a futile 'accident'

They will never get it back

They want to tell everyone

That is all they can do

It is for them not their love

Shall we let them keep that ?

Its nothing to us, yet everything to them.