Wednesday 2 September 2009

Like a kid in a sweet shop......!

No, I haven't had a sneak preview of all the exhibitor stands at this years Cycle Show! I've just been told that I have around £10k to spend on some all ability bikes for younger people. To date, I have been mostly working with adults, but as Sport Reading launch their new initiative called Aiming High - activities for kids with disabilities and their families. I now have an excuse to go shopping! So, this morning I spent a few hours checking out some trikes, tag alongs and some mainstream bikes. With some good contacts I have managed to source some ex demo bikes for an excellent price and believe it or not, I may have trouble spending the full amount - an enviable position to be in! The bikes will be here in a few weeks - just in time for the stadium to re-open.

On another note - I managed to dodge the rain either end of the working day, which is just as well. Both my gortex jacket and trousers have lost their waterproofing - I'm not surprised given the rain in Cumbria last week! Can anyone advise me on reproofing 'said' items or do I have to continue with the spending spree.......?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Does "all-ability" include high-ability youngsters? Does it mean you have to get bikes to cover all abilities, or does it mean each bike has to be able to be used by people across the whole range of abilities?

I reckon a Hase Pino would have taken a pretty big chunk out of that £10 000! (Especially at the current €-£ exchange rate).

On the re-proofing front, the products from companies like Grangers and Nikwax (see the CTC shop's Fabric Cleaner page are supposed to do the trick. I see the Nikwax TX product is specifically mentioned as being for Gore-Tex fabric.