Tuesday 1 September 2009

Back in the South


Hmm? It was a long but very enjoyable week. Despite having all the appropriate Sustrans maps - I failed to appreciate the route profile on day 2 and got horrendously lost riding the Reivers. Sustrans really need to spend some money on signage for the Reivers route - most of them around the towns had been peeled off by some thoughtless person and the signs out in the countryside were so faded by the weather conditions you couldn't read them......!
Nonetheless, a great way to see some fantastic scenery and I've definitely got the touring bug and have my sights set on another next year - though haven't quite decided where. I guess that's all part of it- sitting down with the maps and planning it all out.
My day in Reading was very quiet and I spent most of the day ploughing through emails and catching up with the Southern Officers. I'm pleased to announce that the advert has gone out to replace me - see here if you are interested in becoming a Cycle Champion! I will be SO relieved when the person has been appointed as doing the 2 jobs is proving to be tricky - feel like I'm not giving either one the time it needs!
Good to get back on the road bike though and to do battle with the commuter traffic - total adrenaline rush after the very quiet roads of Cumbria!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've often thought the Sustrans route marking leaves a lot to be desired (and I'm not talking about where it's faded or peeled off). I find I'm looking round for a sign to point the direction and there's nothing there, or it's somewhere I wouldn't expect it to be. And when you're completely lost and see a sign for, say, route 4, you need to know more than just that it's route 4: which direction on route 4 — leading to London, or Bristol?