Tuesday 31 March 2009

Health and Wellbeing event- Reading University

I really enjoy the camaraderie that surrounds being a cyclist - on my commute in, it's nice to see familiar faces as they pass by, with either a nod or a wave, even though they are surreptitiously checking out what you're riding! No harm in that, as I'm guilty as the next person! We do have one chap that refuses to acknowledge anyone - all I can say to Mr. Head Down is, "Look up and around you, you maybe pleasantly surprised!"
I have spent the whole day at Reading University at a Health and Wellbeing event for the employees. Needless to say I cycled with all my CTC promo material in my trailer, only to find very little cycle parking!
I met with quite a few cyclists that were interested in forming a BUG and spoke to Head of HR regarding the cycle to work scheme - all good. Concern was expressed over cycle security as most people were anxious about having their bike stolen from the campus - from what I can understand, this happens with alarming regularity. I must pop in and see the PSCO's at Cemetery Junction to see what, if anything, can be done.
I managed to sign up 10 participants for some free cycle training and as the event is over the next 2 days - who knows, maybe more will take up the opportunity?

No comments: