Saturday 28 March 2009

A first for Reading - All ability cycle workshop

Reading hosted CTC's first All Ability Cycle Workshop today. I was in Reading early to set up the venue and to meet and greet the 15 or so delegates - though I have to put my hands up and say that I was very lucky to have a lift in this morning, with the bike in the back of the car for the journey home!
The hall at the Park United Reformed Church was our chosen venue, which is on the edge of the Palmer Park - so really convenient for those wanting to try my disability bikes later on in the day.
People arrived on time, full of enthusiasm. There was a mix of CTC members, trade and professionals. The group discussed a variety of topics:
  • Disability section of the CTC website,
  • A survey to members to see how many are living with a disability/impairment.
  • Campaigning for the bicycle to become a recognisable mobility aid, which would help greatly on public transport.
  • The group plan to meet twice a year
  • Disability Conference in 2010.
A very productive day had by all - though ended on a sad note as one of my colleagues had their bike stolen from just outside the church! (Sorry Nigel!)

No comments: